Last night as I listened to my husband play with my two little girls, I easily thought of 10 reasons Daddy is more fun than Mommy! It’s sad but true – you just can’t do it all!
So the other night, it was very much a “normal” evening in our house. I was in the kitchen cleaning up after dinner while my husband was at our swingset playing “tickle dragon” with my two little girls. This is of course a made up game where the girls try to slide down the slide before the “tickle dragon” can tickle them. Big boisterous laughs ensued, breathless giggles and the echoes of “More Daddy, More Daddy, More” could be heard through the backyard.
And I simultaneously smiled AND sighed. I am unbelievably grateful for this wonderful man I found 12 years ago that turned out to be an amazing husband and an even more amazing Dad. I am thankful he is happy and eager to play with the girls when he gets home from work each day, without me even asking him. He truly loves our daughters.
But it also made me a little sad that he is most likely the “fun parent.” A few weeks ago, I was reading in bed with my 3 year old and on a whim, just started blowing raspberries on her belly. She thinks this is hystercial and cannot get enough. In the midst of laughing uncontrollably, she looked at me and said, Mommy mommy! You’re like Daddy! And I knew what she meant – I was being wreckless, crazy, throwing caution to the wind…at least what caution is to a 3 year old.
Well kids, here you have it…the 10 reasons Daddy is More Fun Than Mommy.
10. Mommy is Tired – Mommy is the one who puts you both to bed every night and wakes up with you every.single.time in the middle of the night. Factor in I don’t usually go to bed until midnight and get up at 6 am and this doesn’t give mommy a lot of sleep. I love you but am ready for you both to sleep through the night.
9. Mommy is a Worrier – One of us has to worry about broken bones, scraped knees and infectious diseases. In our house, that’s all me. I set up doctor’s appointments, arrange medical procedures, do clinical diagnostics to figure out which of a million viruses you may have contracted this week. Sorry if I forgot to skip down the sidewalk during our evening walk.
8. Mommy Gets Zero Alone Time – Daddy gets a break during the day. I haven’t gone to the bathroom in 6 years without at least one set of eyes on me.
7. Mommy Has No Make Believe Left in Her – As a child, I was able to spend my entire day outside – riding bikes, pretending I was a rock star, performing treasure hunts. We didn’t live near any children so all my play was solo play. Fast forward 25 years and if my girls don’t want to swing or slide, I don’t have a clue as to what to do. The real world takes all of my brain power – I just can’t seem to muster any up for make believe.
6. Mommy Doesn’t Want Social Services to Come – Which is what would happen if Daddy was in charge of cleaning the house.
5. Mommy’s Optimal Outdoor Temperature is 72 degrees – Below this I am freezing (so I’m a no-go on snow days for sure) and above this and I may have a heat stroke. Daddy’s internal temperature seems to adjust MUCH easier.
4. Mommy’s In Charge of Birthdays…and Christmas, and Mother’s Day and Easter and Halloween…. Without Mommy neither of you would have opened a gift on your birthday since never. I also make sure your grandmas get a gift on Mother’s Day and you each have the perfect Halloween costume come October 31. Daddy often asks me what we are giving you guys the morning of.
3. Mommy is apparently the only one who knows how to read time in this house. Daddy seems to have no concept of time. Or that your bed time sneaks up at the SAME time each night. Or that to actually get anywhere with 2 young kids takes a little more planning than for yourself.
2. Mommy likes to eat and wants you to as well! While Daddy was apparently the big chef back in his college days, he hasn’t cooked since then as far as I can tell. Which is okay but the meal planning, grocery shopping, food prep and actual cooking take away from all my loosy goosey time.
And the #1 Reason Daddy is More Fun Than Mommy…
1. Mommy’s TIRED! This one is so important it makes the list twice! Go back and look at #s 2-10 and you will see why Mommy is just exhausted each day! But I’m not just talking physically, I mean emotionally and mentally. This is not to complain.
But when you love someone as much as I love the two of you, your brain is always thinking. Thinking about ways to show I love you, keep you safe, make you happy, nourish your soul…thinking about ways to be the awesome parent you deserve because I know how important this job God gave to me is.
I’m in charge of you two – the two most wonderful people I have ever met. So probably for many many years, Daddy’s going to seem more fun than me. And I’m okay with that. You need that and I can’t really give it.
But I hope one day when you look back in your memory bank and remember all those crazy fun times you had with Daddy, I hope you remember those moments were in large part to your Mommy doing her job. I love you!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: