So I’ve been making this Out Of This World Chicken Casserole for over a decade now and it has NEVER let me down! It’s the perfect combination of toasted breading and creamy chicken filling. The recipe is simple, easy to follow and is perfect for doubling! Whenever I make it, I ALWAYS double it! One goes in the oven and the other either goes in the freezer or to a friend who needs a little help that week!
When Bryan and I first got married, I was definitely one of those stereotypical wives lost in the kitchen! I’m a huge dessert fan myself so for most of my college years, I (Don’t laugh please) got away with sandwiches, the occasional chicken breast, and dessert!! Thank goodness my mom and best friend lived close by so weekend home-cooked meals were on the menu!
So anyway…cooking for me, especially in the beginning, needed to be easy, straight forward, and end with awesome results! LOL!
Thankfully and perhaps as a huge hint, hint, hint, my sweet Mother In Law had given me what has become my favorite type of cookbooks – ones from the church! These are always wonderful, eclectic collections of recipes that have been passed down the generations. The ingredients aren’t always accurate and even with this one, I had to tinker just a little bit to make it come out right.
But it has been well worth the minimal effort!
A couple great things to remember about this recipe, aside from being super easy to freeze!
On a busy school night, I save myself even more time by using a rotisserie chicken, which if you know me is one of my favorite cooking shortcuts! Check out these yummy Cheesy Chicken Roll Ups for another kid-friendly and delicious recipe!
Also, I LOVE the way celery makes this casserole pop but my kids hate to actually see celery. Ha! We know how those kiddos can be picky! So I always finely chop my celery using my Tupperware Power Chef! It doesn’t puree it but makes it just tiny enough that no one can see it!
Can’t wait for you to try this chicken casserole out and see just why it is out of this world!
- 2 Cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 Can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 Can evaporated milk (I use most of a 12oz can)
- 1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 stalks celery - finely chopped
- 1 box Chicken Stovetop dressing (2 cups)
- 1 stick butter, melted
- salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 8x8 pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- Saute celery for 5 minutes in a small pan. Add to chicken in a large bowl.
- Add in milk, soup, Worcestershire sauce and spices. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix dressing with butter.
- Put 1/2 of dressing mixture in the bottom of pan. Add chicken mixture and top with remaining dressing.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling.
- Make this recipe even faster using a rotisserie chicken!
- Freezes well - Prepare casserole, cover with both ZipLoc Press N Seal AND Aluminum foil before freezing.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: